vendredi 22 mai 2026
plus
    AccueilEnquêtesSquatting in short-term rentals on the French Riviera : What owners need...

    Squatting in short-term rentals on the French Riviera : What owners need to know

    -

    They book a furnished holiday rental for a few days—and then decide not to leave. While the scenario is enough to make any property owner nervous, industry professionals warn against media hysteria and call for perspective: such cases remain extremely rare and are often the result of management errors.

    On the French Riviera, villas and apartments offered as short-term rentals are in high demand. But this summer, some owners faced a new anxiety: the fear of seeing their property “squatted.” Several media outlets reported cases of tourists refusing to vacate their holiday rental at the end of their stay. These are “2.0 squats,” in which occupants pay for their first nights, then overstay their booking, even changing the locks and the electricity contract. They often present a well-rehearsed story involving a “difficult situation,” “a child in their care,” and “an inability to find other accommodation.” The problem? These occupants are not considered squatters under the law. Because they entered the property legally—via a booking and payment—they do not fall under the 2023 French “anti-squat” law, which allows for fast-tracked eviction of unlawful occupants. As a result, owners can face lengthy and costly legal proceedings.

    “Last year it was hidden cameras, before that prostitution… This year it’s squatting.”

    Articles published this summer suggested the phenomenon was increasingly common, if not epidemic. But behind the alarmist headlines, the reality appears far more nuanced. According to Mathieu Morel, vice-president of the National Union of Furnished Rental Professionals (SPLM) and co-founder of the Primo Conciergerie network, the media frenzy does not reflect a widespread issue. “Every summer, an Airbnb topic makes the rounds: last year it was hidden cameras, before that prostitution… This year, it’s squatting. It’s the media’s summer hit,” he says. In his view, no increase in squatting incidents has been recorded. “We haven’t logged a single case among our 300 members across France. Our concierge services have hosted thousands of travellers over three years without a single incident of this kind,” he insists. L’Obs contacted two real-estate lawyers in Nice to verify this. Maître Olivier Faucheur confirms that “there has been no increase in these types of cases.” His colleague, Maître Florian Rugo, agrees: “Such cases remain rare and have not increased lately. And in every case I’ve handled, it was the owners’ ‘fault’—no rental agreement had been drawn up,” he stresses.

    Mathieu Morel
    “In the cases highlighted by the media, they’re certainly not telling the whole story: either the owner agreed to extend the stay for cash, or there was no rental contract at all.” Mathieu Morel. © Photo DR

    “In the vast majority of cases, squatting is made possible by an owner’s mistake.”

    This assessment is shared by Mathieu Morel: “In the vast majority of cases, squatting is enabled by an error made by the owner or manager. The real issue is handling rentals professionally,” he insists. According to him, four essential precautions can prevent such problems : draw up a short-term rental contract (less than 90 days). Platforms only connect owners and guests—owners must issue a proper contract. Request ID from guests and take a security deposit or card imprint. “Never accept a cash deposit,” warns the SPLM vice-president. Check guest ratings and history on platforms. “I systematically refuse bookings from guests without solid reviews,” he says.

    By following these steps, the risk of squatting—and property damage—is greatly reduced. Morel also cautions owners who live far from their rental properties. “If checkout is Monday at 10 a.m. and the owner is on-site, they can note the overstay and call the police. With a contract in hand, if the guest violates it, officers can intervene. But if the owner doesn’t show up for two days and finds the locks changed and utilities switched over, things get more complicated.” For absentee owners, he recommends using concierge services or property-management agencies “to avoid mistakes and ensure professional oversight.” A sensible recommendation—though Morel, as a representative of rental professionals, is naturally preaching to the choir.

    Avoid accepting cash

    “The biggest mistake owners or managers can make is agreeing to extend a stay off-platform and accepting cash payment. With no traceability and no contract for the extension, it becomes far harder to prove unlawful occupation,” Morel adds. Between bookings, when the property is vacant, he also recommends installing a noise detector to remotely confirm that no one is inside. “There’s no such thing as zero risk, but squatters prefer properties managed directly by private owners—typically those who live far away, are poorly informed, and take few precautions. It’s like burglaries: most happen in homes without alarms,” sums up Morel. While squatting cases understandably worry property owners, they remain marginal—and above all, preventable.

    -

    Les dernières news

    L’Observateur de Monaco

    Créé en 2005, L’Observateur de Monaco s’est progressivement imposé comme un rendez-vous mensuel d’information et d’analyse consacré à la vie de...

    Plongée nostalgique dans le Monaco des années 50 à 70

    C’est une immersion dans le Monaco d’hier. À travers un document baptisé Florilège d’actualités monégasques filmées par TMC, la plateforme de l’Institut audiovisuel de Monaco a exhumé des mini-reportages tournés entre 1956 et 1974 par Télé Monte-Carlo.

    Sécurité, projets pour le Devens, salles de prières, relations avec Monaco… Les propositions des candidats aux municipales de Beausoleil

    De la sécurité au réaménagement du Devens, en passant par la question des lieux de prière, les candidats aux municipales de Beausoleil déclinent leurs priorités et leurs propositions.

    La Sélection

    Jeunes diplômés à Monaco : voici les secteurs qui recrutent

    Créée en 2010, la Commission d’insertion des diplômés (CID) aide la jeunesse de la Principauté — et désormais celle des communes limitrophes — à trouver un stage, une alternance, ou un premier emploi à Monaco. Comment ces jeunes lycéens et étudiants sont-ils accompagnés dans le grand bain de la vie active ? Quels sont les secteurs d’activité qui recrutent et ceux qui embauchent peu en Principauté ? Et quel est l’intérêt des entreprises monégasques à collaborer avec cette commission ? L’Obs’ vous dit tout.

    Activités immobilières à Monaco : le grand ménage législatif

    Avec plus de 160 agences immobilières, une surreprésentation de marchands de biens, et une multitude d’intermédiaires non autorisés, une concurrence féroce et parfois déloyale se joue. Pour professionnaliser et encadrer ce secteur central de l’économie monégasque, deux textes de loi ont récemment émergé avec des mesures clés : obligation d’une résidence effective à Monaco, fin des prête-noms, mandat écrit obligatoire, ou encore carte professionnelle et formation continue. Voici ce qu’il faut retenir.

    Monaco veut défendre son image à l’international face aux critiques

    Face à des articles de presse considérés comme « dévalorisants », le gouvernement monégasque et le Conseil national souhaitent mettre en place une communication plus proactive à l’international pour défendre l’image de la Principauté.